Whimsical Cookery is a site for adults who prefer to eat like children, or perhaps just need to cook for some children. This site contains an aversion to vegetables, a love of fried food and cupcakes, lazy shortcuts, some disturbing creations, and an ignorance of proper culinary practices...

Sunday 6 April 2014

Tangy-Spicey Sriracha Fish Tacos


This recipe was inspired by the fish tacos I recently tried at Wahaca, and a bottle of Sriracha I managed to get my paws on. As a note, I would say that you can take the time to batter and fry your own fish, but I made these on a Tuesday, that wasn't happening.  So I took the easiest shortcut ever, chopping a battered fish fillet in half for each taco.  As long as you buy a reasonably good quality fish, it doesn't detract from this flavorful taco!

For 8 tacos, you will need:
4 large battered fish fillets (cooked and halved)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded lettuce

Sriracha cream sauce ingredient

You will need:
1/2 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
2 1/2 Tbsp condensed milk (again, light is fine)
1 3/4 Tbsp Sriracha sauce

Simply whisk all ingredients together and serve drizzle over fish.
Note: This sauce is incredibly addicting, and you will want to put it on everything.

1. Preheat oven to 100C/210F.

2. Assemble your tacos, lettuce, (cooked) fish, and drizzle sauce and sour cream over (this can be done by putting sauces in plastic bags and cutting off the corner, or use a diner-style squeezy bottle).  I decorated my tacos with 3 additional dots of Sriracha, but I'd avoid this if you don't like things too spicy.

3. Line up your tacos on a baking tray with the edges facing upwards.  They will start to crisp up after about 5 minutes, but keep an eye on them as I've noticed they jump from pale and limp to crisp in about 30 seconds!