I've come up with an extremely successful peanut butter and chocolate chip ice cream recipe! This relatively simple ice cream recipe actually tastes more like gelato due to the added creaminess from the peanut butter, but I am hesitant to label it as that as I do not wish to incur ire from foodies.
For one batch that fits perfectly in a standard ice cream maker you will need:
1 cup whole milk
1 cup double cream (half and half)
2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g (7oz) smooth peanut butter
140g (5oz) dark chocolate (or semi-sweet) chocolate chips
Note: This recipe assumes that you have chilled your ice cream maker or are familiar with how to make freezer ice cream.
1. Combine whole milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a pan over low heat. Remove from heat as soon as smooth and set aside to cool.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the double cream until it becomes aerated and starts to stiffen.
3. In a large bowl (that can easily be poured from), add the peanut butter and milk mixture. Combine using an electric mixer until smooth.
4. Fold in the cream.
5. Add mixture to ice cream maker and allow to set. Once the ice cream is semi-frozen, add the chocolate chips and allow them to be folded in.
6. Remove mixture from machine, store in a freezer-safe container, and freeze for at least 1 hour or until ice cream is the correct consistency.