The world's cheeriest cupcakes! Perfect for summer parties, or in pastels for easter! These cakes are easy to make, but a bit more time consuming than typical cupcakes. To save time, and to get truer colors, I usually use a white cake mix.
You will need:
1 box white cake mix batter prepared (or 1 recipe white cake batter)
6 small bowls
Rainbow of food colourings (Red, Yellow, Blue required)
Frosting recipe below!
Yield: 20 cupcakes
1. You will need to divide the batter into six bowls. 1 bowl should have an extra 3 Tbsp of batter (this will be the red).
2. Dye each, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. Without being too patronising, if you do not wish to invest heavily in food dye, orange, green, and purple can be made from red, yellow, and blue. The higher quality the food dye is, the more vibrant your results will be.
3. Line a cupcake tray with 20 wrappers.
4. Begin layering, starting with purple at the bottom. Use only enough of each color batter to cover the previous color to avoid running out.
5. When you get to the last layer, red, use a bit more as the dome shape of the top of the cake requires more of this color.
6. Bake as per recipe instructions.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
You will need:
1 cup butter (two sticks) - room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp clear vanilla
1/4 cup skim milk
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter.
2. Add milk and vanilla.
3. Add powdered sugar and beat, one cup at a time, until smooth.
4. Frost cupcakes.