My mum made these festive beauties! Yes, another meringue recipe, but these will brighten up any Christmas cookie plate!
You will need:
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1 cup sugar
12 oz mini chocolate chips
Red food coloring (careful not to go overboard, as this will affect stiffness of meringue)
1. Preheat oven to 225F/110C.
2. In a lage bowl, beat together the egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, peppermint extract, and food colouring.
3. Slowly add the sugar, just one spoonful at a time and continue to beat the meringue until it is stiff enough to form peaks.
4. Carefully fold in the mini chocolate chips.
5. Drop meringues by heaped tablespoonfuls (meringues should be about 1.5in wide and just under an inch tall).
6. Bake about 1 hr 15 minutes, though I recommend you check earlier as browning meringues are not ideal. These meringues can take up to an hour and a half to bake.