This cake is perfect for when you want a big impact with little effort. Chocolate and orange compliment each other. That is a fancy box of cream chocolates, hot chocolate, Terry's chocolate orange fact.
For this cake you will need:
1 prepared dark chocolate or devil's food cake batter or mix
You have two options for the frosting, depending on how orange-y you want your cake to be, you could make it with vanilla extract or no extract at all.
For the frosting and decoration you will need:
5 cups powdered (icing) sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 tsp orange extract (high quality makes a difference)
1-2 Tbsp Milk
You will also need:
3.5 oz (100g) White chocolate orange buttons
11.5oz (330g) smooth sweet marmalade (or you can remove peels yourself through a sieve from 15oz. marmalade)
1. Bake the cakes in three 9 inch pans and allow to cool.
2. Trim the sides and set aside.
3. For the frosting, you will need to cream the butter and powdered sugar together. Add sugar one cup at a time so you can gauge the right amount of icing sugar to add. If you'd like a thinner frosting, add 1-2 Tbsp milk.
4.Then add the orange extract.
5. Frost the tops of the two bottom cake layers.
6. Gently spread a generous quantity of marmalade over the the frosting.
7. Assemble your cake, pressing down a bit to ensure that the layers do not slide around on the marmalade.
8. Apply a crumb coating of frosting to your cake first and allow it to set. Since this is a chocolate cake, you are liable to end up with dark crumbs in your frosting otherwise.
9. Once set, finish with a smooth layer of frosting.
10. Press orange buttons into freshly frosted cake and serve.