Whimsical Cookery is a site for adults who prefer to eat like children, or perhaps just need to cook for some children. This site contains an aversion to vegetables, a love of fried food and cupcakes, lazy shortcuts, some disturbing creations, and an ignorance of proper culinary practices...

Thursday 6 September 2012

Garlic & Sun-Dried Tomato Flatbread Pizza


I'll admit that I sometimes get jealous of people eating their 'artisinal' pizzas, but the truth is I do not want a pizza topped with baby arugula/rocket, cherry tomatoes, and goats cheese.  Anyways, I sought to mimic the bubbling flatbread experience by picking some up in my weekly shop and adding things I do enjoy on top!
I am hesitant to give exact measurements of ingredients, but I've put some measurements down as a shopping guide.

For two pizzas, you will need:
2 fresh flatbreads
Margarine or butter
Garlic powder
Dried oregano
Jar of sundried tomatoes
1 small jar pizza sauce
Parmesan cheese
4 pieces smoked back bacon (fat removed)
1 cup chestnut mushrooms (already fried/cooked in olive oil)
Shredded mozzarella
60g thin-sliced chorizo

1. Drain oil from sundried tomatoes, add to a small saucepan and heat.

2. Add small container of pizza sauce and stir until warm.

3. Empty contents into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

4. (optional) Press sauce through sieve to remove bits.  Set aside.

5. Butter the flatbread base and dust with garlic powder and oregano.

6. Paint over that with the sundried tomato sauce.

7. Assemble the pizza as you normally would.

8. Bake at 175 for 8-10 minutes, or until meats have crisped.

Apologies for the crap photography on this recipe, I just wanted to eat!!!