Late night baking for a breakfast surprise! I wanted to make cinnamon twists, but have found myself without puff pastry and without time to deal with yeast rising issues. Therefore I have improvised this quite satisfactory recipe for no-yeast cinnamon twists!
You will need:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter (or margarine works fine) + butter for spreading
1/4 cup granulated sugar + sugar for sprinkling
Dark brown or Muscovado sugar for sprinkling
Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
For the icing:
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup icing/powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp of milk (low/fat free fine)
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder in a medium bowl.
2. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut butter/margarine into the dry mixture.
3. Add milk and stir.
4. Using your hands, mix and knead until combined (do not overdo it!).
5. Press dough into a rectangle and roll out to approximately 1/2 inch thickness.
6. Butter the surface of the rectangle.
7. Sprinkle surface heavily with cinnamon.
8. Sprinkle surface lightly, first with granulated sugar then dark brown sugar.
9. Press palms firmly over surface (to compact the sugars into the butter).
10. Cut dough into strips.
11. Gently twist each strip as pictured and place onto a greased baking tray.
12. Bake 8-9 minutes at 175 C/350 F. Under-bake by a minute or two if you enjoy the gooey center of a cinnabon.
13. For the icing, simply combine all of the stated ingredients in a small bowl using a whisk.
Serve warm. Yield approx: 10