Vanilla Chai Tea cupcakes are, perhaps, one of the more-sophisticated-tasting cakes on Whimsical Cookery, as they highlight the delicate spice and flavor of Chai Tea within a vanilla cake. These cupcakes are then topped with light and fluffy brown sugar frosting.
You cake you will need:
1 recipe vanilla cake batter yielding 24 cupcakes, prepared
4 Chai Tea bags (for light tea-taste, 5 for medium, 6 for strong)
1. Measure out amount of water needed for cake recipe, heat, and brew tea bags for 8 minutes. Allow to cool (so the boiling water doesn't start cooking the (usually) required eggs). If you are in a hurry, brew tea in less water than the amount of required water, then add ice cubes to hot tea until you have the correct amount of water for the cake mix recipe.
2. Prepare and bake cake mix according to box instructions, substituting the required water with your Chai tea.
Brown Sugar Frosting
For frosting you will need:
3/4 cup milk
7 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks, generally)
1 tsp vanilla
1. Beat butter until smooth.
2. Beat in half of the brown sugar, add milk, then beat in the other half of the brown sugar.
3. Add vanilla.
4. Beat in flour, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.