Whimsical Cookery is a site for adults who prefer to eat like children, or perhaps just need to cook for some children. This site contains an aversion to vegetables, a love of fried food and cupcakes, lazy shortcuts, some disturbing creations, and an ignorance of proper culinary practices...

Monday 9 August 2010

Mexican-Inspired: Cheese, Bean, or Beef Enchiladas


I decided that this week will be dedicated to Mexican-inspired food.  I do not claim knowledge of authentic Mexican cuisine.  I am, however, a massive fan of Mexican food.  So this week Whimsical Cookery shall be full of Mexican-inspired bits n bobs.
I've decided the first recipe to share shall be enchiladas!  This recipe is actually a take off of the enchiladas my mother made us growing up.  I believe they were originally made with ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning and re-fried pinto beans.  Then I went vegetarian for a while, and found that I actually preferred them with just beans and cheese, or simply cheese!  Basically, you can put whatever the hell you want in these yummy tortillas.


For the sauce you will need:
3 medium-sized chipotle peppers for a medium-heat sauce (add more/less as you see fit)
1 tsp chili powder
4 6oz tins of tomato sauce

Yields about 4 cups sauce.

1. Make sauce by blending peppers, chili powder, and tomato sauce until smooth.

2. To make the shells, you will need corn tortillas and oil (I used canola).  Simply fry them for 15-30 seconds on each side in hot oil until tortillas are softened.

3. Grease a shallow pan.

4. Line with your choice of fillings and roll up and place in pan.

5. Cover in sauce and sprinkle with cheese.

6. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350°F.